I usually ‘do’ a cover for a diary but this year (2016) I’ve gone for a notebook thingy. I bought it from Staples and it’s their ARC system and I’ve fallen in love with it. I find it better than a ring binder and I can use it for all sorts of notes/mindmaps/calendars and whatever I need to carry out my daily tasks. But the covers are boring and I don’t wish to have the same cover as everyone else – so I trawled my patterns and decided on a Tree of Life from a Jacobean embroidery stitch book. Here’s the original pattern.
I then photocopied it and drew it out without any colours or stitches – and then I exploded the pattern so that I could draw it onto the fabric.
I then did the cross hatching bit first – using my Quatrefoil trellis stitch
I didn’t want the design to be flat so I traced three leaf patterns onto some turquoise silk and embroidered those to be appliqued to the main design.
I then got carried away and didn’t take any more photographs until I’d finished. It still needs to be made into a cover proper but the embeading is done.
So that’s it until next year for this A5 size. I also bought an A4 size book which I’m going to embead – but not yet. Still waiting for some hopefully exciting news!